Trials Layout Creation
In order to create a trial, a farm and its' fields must first be created in MyFarm. There is a flow involved in setting up protocols and on-boarding assessments, which can be seen in the image below. Certain data must be in place before you can create objects. A detailed explanation of each component is provided in the relevant sections below.
For more information on the order of creation, CLICK HERE
If you have not already created the Farm and Fields associated with the trial, please do so first in MyFarm. CLICK HERE for Help with creating fields and farms.
KisanHub provides a robust platform to manage data sharing, data ownership and data access, at a farm, field, protocol and plot level. Data sharing and access can be customised within the platform, either with specific users or with the whole primary team of the user. It is important that you have the correct access to the required farm and field data and you have selected the correct team in your top navigation bar’s team selection. For Help on how to adjust permissions, please CLICK HERE.
Trials are associated with a harvest year, protocol and trial site. The protocol must be created before a trial layout can be made. For Help creating a protocol, CLICK HERE.
Trial Layout Creation Instructions 1: Creating headlands
On map view, zoom to the Field in which you want to create a headland.
- Click on Plot Layout actions button (See Figure 1, 1.a)
- Select Add Headland (1.b). This enables a polygon draw tool
- Draw a quick polygon somewhere within the Field (2). Double click on the first point to complete
- This will load a form (3). Select Use Field Boundary and specify the headland size i.e. half your sprayer width
- Click Preview
- If correct, choose Save, otherwise Cancel (4) and start over.
Note: If you do not want to use the field boundary as the basis for your headland, you can create a headland by manually drawing and not selecting Use Field Boundary. If you have headland layouts from tractor software please use the Upload Data Tool on the Plot Layout actions button (1.a).
Trial Layout Creation Instructions 2: Creating tramlines
Zoom to the Field in which you want to add tramlines. The higher the zoom level, the more accurate.
- Click on the Plot Layout actions button (Figure 2, 1.a)
- Click on the Add Tramline icon (1.b)
- Draw a straight line, either parallel with the longest straight side, or where you wish the first tramline to be within the Field. Double click to finish the tramline guide.
- Tramlines at 6m (Yellow), 12m (Black) and 24 metres (Red) will be created to the field extents parallel to the line drawn by you. The drawn line will be extended to the field extent and colour coded as White.
- If you are satisfied please press Save otherwise press Cancel (4) to remove the drawn layer.
Note: Tramlines are normally presented as the longest straight edge of the field. If you have tramlines from tractor software please use the Upload Data Tool on the Plot Layout actions button (1.a).
Trial Layout Creation Instructions 3: Designing the trial layout
- Click on Plot Layout actions button (Figure 3, 1.a)
- Click on the Trial Plot Layout icon (1.b)
- Draw a line (2), parallel to the tramlines within the Field. Double click to finish the guide line for the trial layout.
- This will load a form (3) to define the Trial Layout configuration.
- Select the Trial Code from the drop down list which will populate the form from the data in the corresponding protocol. Check the figures and manually adjust if necessary.
- Select the orientation of the trial plots (relative to the direction in which you drew the Plot Layout line)
- Trial plots will be created and auto named using trial code, trial centre and a hotel numbering system
- Click Preview
- If correct, click Save, otherwise Cancel and try again. It may take a while to create the trial layout, depending on the number of plots. You can continue with your work, an email notification will be sent to you once the process has finished. (Figure 4, 2)
- The protocol will now have a field name assigned to it
Note: The user can always adjust the number of columns/rows, plot length/width, plot orientation/laying direction and plot gaps length/width within the Trial Layout Design form. (Figure 4, 1)
Trial Layout Creation Instructions 4: Assigning the Treatment Layout
Note: Treatment layout tool allows user to assign the treatments to the individual trial plots. It also allows to define the ARM reference name for the trial plot
- Double click on the trial area that you have created. This will load a side card. Select the Assign Treatment Layout icon on the side card (two opposing arrows, Figure 5)
- This loads a Trial Layout Configuration page (Figure 6), listing plot treatments
- If no plots are created, the table will be empty and you will need to create Trial Plots first using the Create Trial Layout Tool.
4. To edit the list, and to randomise treatments, the treatment list needs to be exported to Excel. This is done using the EXPORT TO CSV icon (1)
5. This downloads a CSV file that can be opened and edited as in Box 3 below. To open the comma separated file in Excel choose DELIMITED, choose COMMA and then FINISH
6. Re-upload using the Upload data icon (2)
NOTE: Randomisation of treatment lists must be conducted in CSV format and then uploaded back to the system. DO NOT change values in the first 3 columns.
Instructions for Uploading Data
The upload data tool allows users to upload data for Headlands and Tramlines.
1. Click on the Upload Data Tool (1). This will load a form wizard (2) to select Data Category, Data Provider, Data Format and Data File.
2. After completion of the form press Submit, otherwise Cancel.
3. If Submit is clicked, it will validate the uploaded file for the data category, provider and format.
4. Upon successful validation, an appropriate follow up form will be loaded, based on the data category chosen. Click Cancel to unload, import to save the uploaded data.